RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] New comer w/ROV Question

Interesting ROV application!

My company just spent some time deploying samplers in concrete blocks in the
Detroit River and after a month's incubation, retrieving two sample modules
from each block.  Working in river current makes for interesting diving
indeed.  Using DGPS on deployment and precision drop marking on the DGPS
point prior to retrieval, we have been within about ten feet or less of the
objective.  Can't compare to the days of Loran and compass bearings from a
boat being pushed by wind and current, followed by bottom clinging diver
search.  Too easy on the newbies on the dive crew.

Have also used sonar in body recoveries in Michigan lakes.  Snowmobilers
through the ice don't always ride the machine to the bottom.  One in
particular ran across the rotten ice, shedding his helment, liquor bottle
and gloves before finding another spot of open water.  Two days of
traditional diver search from plywood rafts and john boats through the bad
ice had easily located the machine, but not the almost lucky driver.  Ice
was steadily improving as temperatures and wind chill bottomed out.

We took a Simrad sector scanning head, processor and VGA display and
generator out to look around for a reasonable target.  We suspended the head
about 18 inches off the bottom and placed a passive reflector about 30 yards
away for reference.  Ice was getting stronger, but about five or six fire
axe blows made a reasonable hole.  FD in survival suits with rescue toss
bags stood around to assist, if necessary.

We imaged and measured a few likely targets, got the bearing and range, and
opened a new hole and dropped the pasive reflector to see how close we were
to the target.  After a few attempts, we were able to see the body and hook
it up to the ice. FD cut a larger hole and completed the recovery.

In a river current, we would use a weighted tripod for the sonar head
support.  If head can be kept stable and there are not many air bubbles in
water, reasonable images should be obtained.  Locating and classifying
targets should keep the diver search to the most efficient level.  TV
cameras could also be used deployed on tripod with stabilizing vane or other
reasonable platform before commiting divers. Options include housed rotate,
tilt, zoom cameras, low light cameras, etc.  The better the scene is imaged,
classified, etc., the more efficient and safer the divers will be.

ROVs work in a river much like a diver.  They need to duck the brunt of the
current by either gettin down quickly and hugging the bottom or following
the bottom out from shore.  If the ROV is to be boat deployed, optimizing
the anchor set using multiple anchors to allow repositioning by adjusting
anchor lines is important.  Working off the stern, the method of clump
weighting the umbilical to the ROV through a snatch block and lowering the
clump wieght first will help get the ROV down quickly and provide a position
reference.  While hugging the bottom, the ROV can pull umbilical through the
snatch block and work downstream and, if it has enough power, upstream as
well.  The clump weight also takes most of the load of the current on the
umbilical alowing the ROV to work better in the lower current bottom
boundary layer.

Deep Ocean Engineering, www.deepocean.com has made some hydrodynamic models
designed to be deployed by helicopter for mine countermeasure and other
military applications.  We represent Deep Ocean and Kongsberg Simrad in the
Great Lakes. If you need information, tech specs, etc. email me directly.

Regards,

SciDiver

SDECO@prodigy.net