Surface speed was Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Underwater pod on surface vessel

For the friends of the metric units:

Hull speed (mono hull) on surface in knots =
2,43 x square root of the length of the ship in the waterline in meter.

example :

CSSX LOA : Length over all 	16,01 m (52,5 foot)
CSSX LWL : Length at waterline 	15,80 m (51,8 foot)

2,43 x square root of 15,80 m = 9,66 knots.

With a little more power before xy curve get to high on
the angle : 10 knots should be possible.

Unfortunatly tank test shows that this kind of hull
start to dive into there own bow wave at a speed of 8-9 knots
depents on the freeboard and trim angle.
This will increase the power consumption and lower
the surface stability.

I think the right formular in feet should be :
1,34 x LWL^1/2  bez. 1,34 x square root LWL.

see you - Carsten