Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Thought-experiment

Hi Mike..

"Michael B. Holt" schrieb:

> Simon Lake's Argonaut Junior seems a fairly simple boat.  I've been
> wondering how to duplicate it.  Duplicate in terms of fuction, that is.
>
> The original boat was two layers of pine planking separated by a sheet
> of canvas.  Any modern copy would be three layers of 3/4-inch plywood,
> fiberglassed.

It my private opinon but :
If you build a replica it should be so much original as possible -
if you do not want to build a replica - use a modern design..

> In the water, it appears to have had no propulsion.  The wheels
> weren't paddle wheels, and no one has yet found a reference from
> Simon Lake himself to anything other than "paddling."   So I presume
> that the two guys rolled the thing into the water and then towed
> it, behind their rowboat or canoe, to the dive location.
>
> Once there, they dropped to the bottom and drove around.  Driving
> on the bottom was powered by humans.  If I had to do this, I'd find
> a way to use electric motors.

On the picture I have here it looks that the one or both big bow
wood wheels were driven by a bike-chain. The chain was outside the
vessel
and the chain axis was very high and more or less in the middle of the
hull short
behind something looks like a porthole. So I think it was handdriven.

It was a trike and the stern wheel could be turned - was much smaller
than the other and below the bottom of the boat.

> There was a hatch for divers, on the boat.  I'm not sure where that
> was (forward or midships; opening to the side or on the centerline).
> Just looking at the helmet used suggest the diver did not dare tilt
> his head more than a few degrees.  To exit out of the bottom of the
> boat means that the diver would have to lay down on the bottom.  (Of
> course, he might have gotten out and then put the helmet on ...)

In my description the hatch was at the bottom and on the picture it
looks
like that it was short behind the forward weels. There is a description
that the crew can have a view to the seabottom and also grab something
- there is no description that they can leave the boat.. on the other
side
there is a short description of a divers suit. On the picture with two
mans
on the boat - one half in the top hatch one near the stern short behind
the boat - it looks like that the distanve between the seabottom and the
boat bottom was about 2 feet.

But maybe the author missunderstand the picture and the turned small
wheel was in real the bow area - in this area over this wheel are
visible
some (3) holes looks like portholes. I think good old Simon would prefer
portholes in the bow area - not in the stern ..

There is one thing I do not understand on the picture: There is a rope
goes from the middle of the hull to the end of the vessel were the big
wheels
are. Any idear what it could be ?

> Argonaut Junior was really a mobile habitat, it appears.  It must have
> been a great toy for the two guys who operated it.

It was maybe very - very slow..

> Things I have not yet figured out just yet include the interior
> arrangements, the power train and ballasting.  I'll work on it as
> time permits.
>
> What I'd really like to know is how two men managed to crank the
> thing over the soft bottom I see in rivers near me.  Simon Lake
> must have had a rock bottom on the river he was in.  It was seven
> tons of waterlogged wood, and it could not have been easy to
> handle, even were it trimmed to just less than negative.
>
> A project, for comment.  My Other Half says Argonaut Junior would
> make a nice garden wagon ... but she also wants a boat to use as a
> planter.

I have seen here a one man submarine from the 60ies made from GRP
and instead the dome - a flowers box in .. It was in a garden..

see you - Carsten