Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: PSUB Logo

>Why change the sub?  I liked the old one.  We had a discussion of
>this a few months ago, and decided to keep the original sub.  Or
>so I recall.

I don't recall that discussion, but here are my reasons for a change.
First, the web site has not changed since we first created it nearly
six years ago.  While the current site is quite functional, we need
to update the site image, work on some navigation, and create
thumbnails of images so they will load faster.

The current green sub image is one that I picked out of a COREL graphics
package.  At the time, I recall some rumblings that it looked too
much like a military sub, not a PSUB, but since I couldn't afford
to hire a "real" artist to create a logo for us (note that I don't
claim to have an artistic bone in my body) it was the best we could
do for free.

Second, we solicited for logos from fellow participants and even have
a web page for it.  But we could never agree on one.  There are some
practical matters to consider as well.  While colorful logos are great
for web sites, they are extremely expensive when trying to purchase
items such as tee-shirts, coffee cups, and even bumper stickers.  The
more colors, the more expensive apparel or other items with the logo
are to produce.  I've done a lot of searching on the web the last
couple of days, and most places that sell silk-screen or embroidered
items charge fairly hefty set-up fees as well as "per-color" charges
for multi-colored logos.  And unfortunately, you can't just buy 10
of a particular item.  In most cases, such as bumper stickers, coffee
cups, etc, you have to buy 250 or 500 of them.  Sometimes 1000.  So
it would seem that all the logos we have collected thus far, would
certainly be an expensive logo to transfer to apparel or other
merchandise.

The text logo itself "PSUBS.ORG" in StencilBT is easy enough.  If
we can agree on that, then we can start ordering items and we can
get that in any single color we want.   But the graphic logo needs
to be simple, scalable, and in one or at most two colors for
"cost of production" purposes.  I personally prefer some kind of
abstract image that makes someone look twice and say "What is that?"
so that I can entrap them into a conversation about psubs.  But I'
m open to other suggestions.

Jon