Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Nice Sub Bill!

Bill,
I'm probably missing something here, but I don't quite understand the correlation
between the rating on a tank made for internal pressure and a sub hull made to
withstand external pressure.  I realize a tested a certified tank means that the
material and welds are of a good quality for pressure but isn't it's ability to
withstand external pressure more a function of it's ability to hold it shape.  An
over pressured air tank will expand some till it tears, but till that point, it
keeps a symmetrical shape.  A sub has to be able to take the deflection of a bump
now and than and still keep it's shape.  Not to mention variations in hull stress
do to it's design.  In one case the pressure is keeping the shape round and in
the other it's trying to change it to flat.

Does a tanks pressure rating really even matter when using it for a sub?   Isn't
the depth rating more a factor of how it's reinforced, internal framing?

Thanks, Dan H.