Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Nice Sub Bill!

Hello Alex
        Thank you very much for taking the time to check out my project.
The rings were formed out side of the pressure hull with a slightly smaller
dia. then the hull they were then cut and inserted through the entrance hole,
after the ring was inserted and wedged tight a small piece was inserted to
fill the void left by the missing dia. I agree it would be stronger on edge
but I intend to install bulkheads in two locations. I also intend to install
a bed for the generator as well as a built in fuel tank. The area around the
conning tower will be totally reinforced and a bridge will be formed across
the opening between the seats. My plan is to build the sub strong enough to
withstand twice the pressure the tank is rated for. The original test
pressure is 325 lb.. The entire conning tower will be reinforced with one
half inch plate. The side ballast tanks will also add strength to the hull. I
have now turned the hull over and am in the process of adding a keel and
rolling chocks they too will add strength to the hull. I point I am not quite
sure of is what type of stuffing box's to use I would like to know what
Carstan plans to use. One option beside a stuffing box, would be to use a
high pressure spring loaded pump seal. The only problem I foresee with that,
is the seal failing and having no way to stop the water. At least with
packing all you have to do is tighten the gland.

                    Regards Bill