From: David Buchner <buchner@wcta.net>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 8:14 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Subs at the dump

> At 15:08 -0400 06/04/01, Michael B. Holt wrote:
> >Ray Keefer wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi David,
> >>
> >> If you look at the earlier episodes you can see it as they buzz out
into
> >> the junkyard with the quads on their scanvaging runs. It is a saucer in
> >> shape. I took it for some kind of North Sea life boat of some kind.
> >
> >Yes, that's the shape of the life boats on oil rigs.  That's easier
> >to accept than a sub.
>
> Well, the show's host was narrating and specifically called it a
"submersible" which was no longer seaworthy but had useful parts on it...

> It seemed to  be red and roundish with one part of the roundness being
interrupted by a flattened off sort of place or maybe a fin sticking off,
sort of like a Jetsons car.

> As far as I know, the show's "junkyard" is in England somewhere. I'm
skeptical that it's a "naturally occurring" junkyard, though. Maybe it
started as one, but surely it must have been seeded with lots of useful
goodies. Just look at the frequency with which old cars and motorcycles the
teams find start right up. And the high concentration of brass propellers.
And exotic stuff like submersibles and airliner seats and jet engine parts.
I think I saw a whole small plane fuselage once. It's like the most elite
and wondrous junkyard ever; a dream junkyard.