Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Gasses from batteries

According to the manufacturer: the OPTIMA battery utilizes "a unique spiral cell technology employing the most advanced Absorbant Glass Mat technology on the market today".  Even if a cell is punctured it won't leak, and the battery will continue to supply power.  And, the OPTIMA doesn't off-gas at all under normal operating / charging conditions.

The brochure included with each battery cites:

1. Highest power density of any automotive battery (more power per pound).

2. Fastest recharge.

3. Two to three times longer life.

4. Zero maintenance: no leaking or terminal corrosion.

5. Higher, more consistent voltage under load.

6. Increased vibration resistance for longer life.

While all of these are factors to consider when calculating "bang for the buck" value, the single advantage of double-to-triple longevity could justify the increased cost.

For me, seal integrity and functional compatibility with my hydrobatic ballast system were absolutely necessary, and the rest of the benefits were "icing on the cake".  I'd suggest that other people should consider what they need and want most from a battery, and make their own choices accordingly.

For those who would like to learn more about OPTIMA batteries, go to:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/main.htm

Click on "INFORMATION", and check the FAQ's, too.

Pat