Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] fabrication question

>If you can make out this convoluted explanation, I'm proud of you . . .

Well let's see how I did.  It sounds like essentially you've manufactured
an outside groove for the o-ring rather than machining an inside groove
on a "collar" or transition piece between the hatch and coaming.  Out of
the water, the hatch sits on the o-ring (possibly no metal to metal
contact between hatch and coaming) and water pressure just makes the
seal tighter as depth increases to a point that the hatch ultimately
rests on the coaming surrounded by a "squished" water-tight o-ring.

It's simple and certainly must be cheaper than finding milling equipment
to turn large diameter pipes for those of us who are on shoestring
budgets.

Jon