RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] fabrication question

Thanks Carsten!

- Alec

-----Original Message-----
From: MerlinSub@t-online.de [mailto:MerlinSub@t-online.de]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 3:57 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] fabrication question

Hi Alec - I weld flanges 2 inch in thickness and 36,7 inch in
outside diameter to a cylinder 27,5 in diameter and a half inch
in tickness. I was pretty shure (before) that the weld will not damage
the flat surface of the flange designed for a flat gasket -
because of the strong tickness of the flange according to the small
tickness of the cylinder - but ..

.. I was wrong - the surface of the flange is not longer flat
- and for this reason I will turn the seat ring for the o-ring later in
.

Make sure that you can machinery turn the seat later - if nessesary ..

> Welding first and turning the whole assembly ... < .. is the better way-
I did it that way with the propeller shaft hose also - was out of axis
of about 4 mm ( 0,16 inch) of a length of 2,2 m ( 87 inch) after welding
the pipe to the two regulator tank welding strong connections ..  Not
real visible but clear to much for a bearing .. fortunatly I have same
reserve in the material to turn it down to the middle axis :-)

At the moment I am a little afraid that maybe the two knees which
connect
my main entrance hatch with the spring will damage the hatch flatness
(the o-ring nut is allready in) - for this reason I think I will weld
this strong
knees only with step-welds.. To prevent rust I will cut out the knees
between
the short welds.

1/2 inch is not a visible measuring for a shipbuilder ..

regards Carsten