Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Need advice, new builder.

Hi BigDave,
   Thanks for the comeback. I know just enough about hydraulics to get
into trouble. ;-)
   The first thing I will do tomorrow is to start to check out the used
book sites for the, "HOW TO DESIGN / BUILD REMOTE CONTROL DEVICES"
Thanks for the tip.
   As to the peddle power, my sub will be handled the same as my wife of
40+ years handles me, On a short leash! ;-) I plan to pressure test at
about 45 feet, That's the deepest spot in the lake, and my max. useable
depth will be about twenty  feet. My air, communications, electric, will
all come down to the sub by way of an umbilical from my tender.  This
will also provide for emergency retrieval, (in addition to drop weight)
and will limit my dive depth. With this in mind, my cruse distance will
be limited to about fifteen feet in any direction. I am too old, fat,
and lazy to expect to go anywhere by peddle power. Even my bicycle has
electric assist. My Daddy didn't raise no dummies, well there was my
brother, but that is off topic. ;-)
   While I have your attention, what do you think of taking two of the
same size small hydraulic cylinders, mount one inside the sub, and the
other outside on the manipulator arm. Fill them both, as well as the
plumbing, and when you move the inside cylinder the outside one will
move. That is how I have designed my arm and grabber. if I find I need
more power, I'll use levers inside to gain the advantage. It seems like
a down and dirty way to do it, think it will work?
   Write when you have the time, I'm interested in your thoughts,
Stan, the mathematically and hydraulically disadvantaged guy with the
sub on the picnic table.