RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sonar

Rob,
     Yes, I have used one to look forward and I have known of others that
have also.  However, one warning; If you allow the unit to be in AGC mode
or whatever they call it, where it is allowed to adjust its own
sensitivity, it will adjust its gain until it sees something.  Once I was a
little less than 30 feet deep and I began to see the unit reporting 28 feet
to an obstacle.  It continued to see the 28 feet for some time even through
I was moving forward.  Since there were no obstacles ahead and I was in 130
feet of water, I finally figured that the gain had adjusted automatically
to the point where it was seeing the surface.  I would try setting the gain
to manual and experimenting with it till you don't see things that are not
there.  One other thing is the fact that my unit defaults to the auto mode
every time you power up.  So if I shut it down, I had to reprogram it into
the manual mode.  Might research one that does not need this done each time.

Gary Boucher