Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Aquasub

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Green <bgreen@northwoodtec.com>
To: Personal Subs (E-mail) <Personal_Submersibles@psubs.org>
Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2001 8:23 AM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Aquasub

>I asked a few months back if anyone had ever completed the Aquasub project
>found at www.rqriley.com
>I can still hear the crickets chirping.......
>I've decided to go ahead with the project (It's safe and cheap as far as
>Subs go) but I would like to make some design modifications.
>The original design had winged pontoons which supported the pod. The wings
>would move in or out along the surface, as the pod submerged/surfaced.
>
>The problem with this is the enormous wing span of the craft, almost 17
feet
>when surfaced!
>This also makes maneuvering, trailering and launching a nightmare, even
>though the wings are removable.......
>
>I'm thinking about leaving the pod as is but created a berth which would
>surround the sub on three sides.
>I would use the original "pontoon look" to flank the sub on either side and
>create small storage container at the back. The pontoons and storage
>container would be connected by tubular steel in the shape of a "U".
>
>The Pod could be lowered from the berth via four cables, 2 on each side,
>controlled by a winch assembly located in either pontoon.
>
>Propulsion would be along the original design of trolling motors and they
>would be located below either pontoon.
>
>Power supplied by batteries located in the pontoons.
>
>The Pod would therefore hang by steel cables from the supporting berth,
>fresh air would be snorkeled down through flexible tubing (as per original
>design).
>
>Overall width for trailering would be less than 7 feet.
>
>Max dive depth would be 10 feet.
>
>I would like comments/suggestions/problems on this design.
>
>Thank you

I had an original set of plans for that sub, quite a few years ago, but
never built it.. I dont have the plans any more, but the two things that
would worry me about the modifications, would be, first, I am not sure if
the hull would survive at 10 feet, as it was only designed for 2-3 feet ,
second, the sub used a regular ballast system, and an emergency drop weight
as a safety, if you modified it as you said,  I would worry about the cables
hanging up , especially in an emergency situation, and not letting you to
the surface....I also think the outboard pods were easily removable for
transport anyways..

dale