From: Subscuba@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2001 9:36 PM
Subject: Re: [[PSUBS-MAILIST] Undersea Habitats]

John,

I have written a number of programs that calculate decompression problems and
I would not make the statement about 30 feet.

I believe that dates from the turn of the century when a 50% reduction in
ambient pressure was considered "Bend Proof" (pressure at 33 feet is two
atmospheres while the surface it is 1 atmosphere). This was based largely on
tests made with goats (Dr. Haldane). Unfortunately ( or perhaps fortunately)
humans are not goats or perhaps not far removed from goats. (I'm not too sure
about some of the people I've met.)

The math models usually assume various tissue time constants which is a gross
oversimplification of the human body. There does not appear to be a tissue
that corresponds to a fast tissue such as the lungs as Haldane assumed. The
best that can be said is that the models seem to fit what happens.

I found that a lot of "common knowledge" was/is based on opinion and not
facts such as you become more susceptible as you age. Or that the Navy dive
tables are based on a 5% incident rate.

Exhaustive studies have not been done except empirically by tech divers. Some
pearl/sponge divers blow the hell out of the Navy dive tables and live to
tell about it. The Navy dive tables also have errors in the Tables with very
little testing performed for the various dive profiles, especially the 100
foot for 25 minutes.

I do not claim absolute numbers as 30 feet as absolute criteria nor do I
think absolute numbers exist. The best I've seen is based on statistical
predictions for decompression sickness which suggest that any dive carries a
risk of decompression sickness. It has been rumored that one of the test
subjects Dr. Spencer used in his testing program for silent bubbles (1976)
would experience the symptoms of decompression sickness when he took a
commercial air flight.

Anyway, for what it's worth, the reason I have looked into the problem is
that I have been a witness and more to several Decompression sickness
incidents. I have also written about these incidents which I can send you,
but I don't think they are pertinent to this website.

That's what neat about 1 ATM subs.

Have fun,

Ken Martindale

PS I've never been Bent, luck?