Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K-sub work

Winning the battle and almost ready to declare victory!!!!!!  Thanks for
asking.

Hi Vance,
As I think I told you a few weeks ago, I decide to do a "do-over."  The
materials arrived for another attempt at the conning tower last week.  I
machined four more viewports and had another plate rolled.  This time I
also burned out a 23-1/2 inch disk to hold the conning tower true round
while I tacked in the hatch seat ring.  Than I moved the disk to the
lower end of the conning tower to hold it true round through the rest of
the welding process.   It's working so far.

I plan to leave the disk in place till I have the tower tacked to the
sub hull.  That way I won't warp anything while it's chucked in the
lathe to machine the hatch seat either.

Also, instead of just freehand burning out the conning tower viewports
holes, I drilled the center of each with a half inch hole, placed a rod
through as a pivot and rigged a swing arm to rotate my torch and let it
slide up and down as necessary.  The viewports fit he burned out holes
as if they were machined.  When welding them in, I got a bit of warpage
in the viewports because of the intersecting geometry of the joint but
not over .020 on the diameter.  I also kept the heat accumulation down
as low as possible.

I think I'm out of that woods!

Thanks, Dan H.