Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydraulic Request

Carsten,

Generally speaking, it is best to run hydraulics above external pressure.
Seals will usually work in the short term, but eventuallly, sea water will
find its way into a non-pressurized system and give what we used to call "the
dreaded pinkoil" effect. Seawater and hydraulic oil mixed vigorously together
make something that looks suspiciously like a strawberry milkshake. So,
either operate it outside and compensate it, or run a pump inside to (in your
case) 1000 psi or so, and avoid the problem.

As to driving the steering cylinders with a pump on the wheel, which is what
I think you are thinking about, I have a little system like that for my K-350
and will be trying it soon. I am not feeling very confident about it, as the
system will not be pressurized except when actually being operated, but will
try it out and let you know. You can always stick a hydraulic unit in
afterwards if there is a problem.

Best Regards,
Vance