Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Running lights

Hi Mike, running lights  on submarine sails are a real problem..

The sail is small in size to the hole boat - and normaly the only place
were you can fit the lights  - so the white top light and the red - port
light
and the green starboard side light are close together - indicate
more a  quick and moveable 6 m (20 ft) / 2 t  sail boat than a heavy and
slow
16 m (52 ft) / 57 t submarine..

For example the top light and the port/starborad side lights in CSSX
will
all close together in one pressure tight arcylic mast - the red/green
light will be a combination light and the top light will be 1 m above ..

This is not according to the rules for boat longer than 7 m (23 ft)..
and for this reasopn I will have a additional orange rotation light ..

The german navy submarine use the same light - this light is not listed
in any national or international convention light book  - but
anybody here in the Baltic and the North sea are knows that this
additional light indicates a slow, not very manoverale heavy and
deep in the water ---> submarine..

Anybody with a small motorboat/sailboat sailing at night in a area of
high trafic will understand why this is a probblem ..

During my first night sail with my first own small boat in the mouth
of the river weser - on left side a hopper with more lights than a
chrismas tree and right two or more fast big cargo freighter with 15-20
knots from two directions, 10 more sportsboats maybe from 5 directions
- is like a little - the year change party...

see you - Carsten