[PSUBS-MAILIST] Math question:

I'm sitting here looking at the source for my program that calculates
the math for the Civil War McClintock boats.  They were all cylincrical
or conical with a flat side in some places.  Easy to figure.

I'd like to be able to calculate wetted surface and volume for
more complex shapes.  Burcher and Rydill say that the ideal shape
is a "parabolic stern" and an "elliptical bow."  I can't find the
formulae to arrive at those areas and volumes. And a proper
paraboloid does not have pointed a vertex.

Suggestions are hereby solicited.

Mike Holt