Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] I NEED A SPEAKER!

----- Original Message -----
From: <TeslaTony@aol.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 8:27 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] I NEED A SPEAKER!

> I've never tried this before, but I think that a peizo disc with some
> cellophane wrapping material (the type of stuff that you wrap a batch of
> cookies up in) around it to keep the water off so it doesn't short out.
There
> might be a problem with pressures at different depths causing interference
> with the electrical signal, but unless there is something I overlooked you
> should be able to take care of that problem just by shorting it out every
> once in a while (about every time you change the pressure exerted on the
> disc).
>
> Bonus: Peizo discs not only convert electrical energy to mechanical energy
> (electricity to sound) but will also do the reverse, effectively becoming
> microphone.
>
> Anthony

Thanks Tony!

As I've admitted in the past, when it comes to electronics, I'm a pretty
fair welder.  Maybe you could explain (in bonehead English) how I'd go about
making such a device; and where I could get this Peizo disc you speak of.
The only peizo equipment I'm experienced is the spark igniter on our gas
barbecue grill; this disc isn't something I can buy at RADIO SHACK, is it?

VBR,

Pat