Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] trolling motors?

Herve,

You really ought to consider an active current limit. I suggest you call
someone knowledgeable at MK or MG and ask about using their motors without
controllers. If you have a locked prop you will have excessive currents with
a fast rise time such that these currents could cause brush damage or stator
demagnetization in a very short time. I can go into more detail but you ought
to contact the actual motor vendor.

Any decent controller with current limit will prevent these problems even
with a locked propeller. You might be degrading the stator magnets with a
drop in thrust that you don't notice.

Call someone at the vendor remains my suggestion. As well as looking at the
PSUBS archives. I started my sub motor design cycle not intending to use a
controller and after much trouble contacted Lake motors in Chicago and
discussed the problem with them and ended up with a controller.

I'll be glad to send you a copy of my controller but I would need your number.

If you make it to Florida, welcome. I live in Florida.

Best wishes,

Ken Martindale

I will be glad to send you a copy of my schematic

In a message dated 11/26/00 7:25:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,