Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] The problem with propane for blowing ballastis:

	Don't have my CRC with me on the road, but I'll bite.

	The solubility of propane, a non-polar molecule, is something
(from memory here) like 6cc/L water at 15C. This is sparingly soluble for
a gas in a liquid, and not too different from oxygen (or air for that
matter). CO2, which can be a ballast gas, has a solubility 10+ times
this at ~90cc/L.
	I am not infallible, but last I checked like dissolves like and
water is polar, propane non-polar. I would expect the solubility to be the
same magnitude of air. This does not affect the fact that I wouldn't do
this myself for myriad other reasons. Unless those -HS groups on mercaptan
odorant are working in some way I don't know about, I think the solubility
is not the show-stopper.

							John

John Brownlee
Chief Systems Administrator