From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Ray Keefer
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 6:03 PM
To: Ray@psubs.org; phil_trimble@hotmail.com
Cc: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: sub

Hi Phil,

If you can plow through the archive at the web site this issue has
been discussed before. Unfortunately the archive is not an easy thing
to read.

To get rid of carbon dioxide can be done in one of several ways:

1. Surface and replentish the air. Simplest and easiest way.

2. Use an chemical absorbent and extract the CO2 from the air.
   The oxygen in the air will be turned into CO2 gradually as you
   breath. I believe there is a slight pressure change but I am not
   sure it is toward more pressure or less. Yes, you do add more O2 but
   at the same time the CO2 is being absorbed out of the air. So it is
   a minor net change.

3. Just keep adding air. This will increase the air pressure inside
   the sub. You need to have a pressure release valve so as you
   surface with an over pressurized sub you don't unseat your viewports.
   Even unseating them from their seals a little will allow sea water in
   and you will sink.

   Another problem is that the CO2 level will also keep increasing.
   At some point that will become toxic.

4. Add more oxygen. Again you will increase air pressure. How much
   oxygen is critical. Too much and you will get oxygen poisoning.
   Plus you have all the other issues as it 3 above.

Regards,
Ray