Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] flying sub

In a message dated 11/6/00 11:23:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
caribsub@coqui.net writes:

> A flying sub based on a ambient pressure design would be doable.
>  The weight of a sub is not much due to its structural weight but to the
>  weight of the water corresponding to the inside volume (cabin, dead
>  spaces). In order to sink a sub must weigh as much it is buoyant, therefore
>  a wet sub or an ambient pressure sub would be more keen to fly since their
>  inside volume is usually less than a 1 atm sub.
>  Interesting idea for seals or frogmen after a dirty work, in that case I
>  would rather inflate a big balloon with Helium to take off and propel the
>  vessel with a small engine.
>  Herve Jaubert
>  Caribbean Submarines

Hmmm....how about an Ultralight with ballast tanks, electric motors,
batteries, depth and other necessary gauges and a few other odds and ends to
make it work as a wetsub? From what I've seen of ultralights they are very,
very simple and wouldn't need that much to become a wetsub with limited range
and speed, but it sounds doable to me.

Anthony