Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Interesting idea

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael B. Holt" <mholt@richmond.edu>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 9:46 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Interesting idea

> Ray Keefer wrote:
> >
> > H Mike,
> >
> > Any more details on the flying sub? Like name? Year? News articles?
> > Sounds like an interested sub.
>
> Somewhere around here I have a copy of the patent.  The patent is
> for a RC model; however, LIFE magazine did a spread on it in about
> '64.  No, I don't have a copy of that.
>
> I did find my childhood cache of DIY/gee whiz magazines.  I've found
> some submarine stuff in those, but nothing about the flying sub.  I'm
> still looking.

I think I know what you guys are talking about.  I had an old article about
it around here somewhere.  Can't remember whether it's on a disk or on
paper.  If I get a chance I'll look for it; if I find it I'll send it along.
But it was an idea the Navy had for a flying submarine; I remember a drawing
of something that looked like a stretched Lake Amphibian.  The idea was it
could fly, land on water; then the flight-engine could be stowed watertight;
the boat could flood ballast tanks, submerge, and operate like a sub.  Don't
remember if the article was about a theoretical project or if they really
had one working.  I'll try to see what I find.

Back down to the shop....

Pat