Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Format for Busby (was: The Navy Speaks: Busbyis Public Domain)

Hello all,

	I ha a brief flirtation with a project to put the entirety of a
series of astronomical journals on-line by scanning them. My recollection
is that the process of turning an image into a PDF as anything other than
abig scanned image was decidedly different from just distributing images
from a scaner. A document made from a scan and a document made into a PDF
that was originally created electronically are two very different things.
	That said, I also vote for PDF. Adobe's image compression and
platform-independant document production stuff rocks, plus if it is
scanned to look one way it will always turn out that way on another's
system. I too have used scandocs this way from government agencies (NASA
Tech reports mostly) and even though they are basically big images it is
still a highly portable and efficient format. If you can turn it into
Postscript, several freeware distillers to make them into PDF's exist for
different operating systems. I am a 'NIXer, so your mileage may vary.

					My two coppers,

							John

John Brownlee
Chief Systems Administrator