Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Seals again

In a message dated 10/3/00 5:29:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
s_lindblom@conknet.com writes:

<<  A active compensation system adds a whole chain of failure
 points, a stack of seals actually subtracts them. >>

You make some very good points, so I begin to wonder why not the best of
both... seals and pressure compensation?   Overpressure is easy enough to
avoid, which eliminates a the blowout you describe as a drawback.  I just
find it hard to believe that pressure compensation is a bad thing.

In the debate over pressure compensation or no, I wonder what the shaft seal
life expectancy is in each case.  It would seem to me that the more pressure
differential on the seal, the shorter the operating life... probably by
orders of magnitude, I would think.

Debate on....

Stan