RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Questions, questions and more questions

Geez Tony-
Your questions would be a great starting point for the PSubs FAQ's section.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of
TeslaTony@aol.com
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 11:18 AM
To: Personal_Submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Questions, questions and more questions

This is a list of a few questions that I have for building a sub, I don't
need exact info on everything just yet but I eventually will need them.

1. How much space does the life support system take up (O2 tanks, scrubber,
etc.)?

2. Where is a good place to put the motors, inside the main hull or outside
in a secondary hull?

3. Does anyone know anything about using jets from a jetski to propel the
sub
or is this totally new territory?

4. What kind of controller arrangement does everyone have? (A simplified
version of this question would be "What does you dashboard and steering
wheel
look like?")

5. How are the things that need holes in the hull made so that they don't
leak or compromise the safety of the sub?

6. Can the gas in the ballast tanks be allowed to just bubble off into the
water to sink and then be replenished from a CO2 cylinder or other gas tank
or should there be a compressor to pump the gas from the ballast tanks into
pressure vessel onboard?

7. If I can't get a copy of "Manned Submersibles," what other book(s) can I
use?

8. I have noticed that other subs that I have seen seem to be unusually
heavy
as well as unusually expensive (such as one sub that weighed 3.5 tons, was 8
feet long and cost $100,000), why is this?

9. What is a reasonable dive time for a Psub?

10. What is a reasonable dive depth?

11. How should the dome/hatch be sealed?

12. How does the emergency dropweight work? (I know the dropweight is
dropped
in emergencies to surface, but how

13. How can a periscope be used with a dome?

14. How about a snorkel for shallow runs?

15. What kinds of lights are used for subs?

16. Where can I get plans, kit or completed sonar? Is a sonar just a nifty
little toy that isn't going to do me much good unless I'm off treasure
hunting?

17. How are the maneuvering thrusters worked out? Is it one thruster that
can
be swung around or is it multip;e stationary thrusters? How powerful are
they?

18. Which is better for a hull: New propane tank or getting some tubing and
two endcaps?

19. Should I put ribs in? If so, how do I make them?

20. Are you trying to figure out what day it is because my list of qustions
is too long?

Anything I miss?

Anthony