Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Who owns the copyright to Busby's book?

In a message dated 9/15/00 3:45:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dblake@bright.net writes:

> Hey Guys:
>  Take a look at Title 17 Chapter 1 of the U.S. Code.  Of particular
relevance
>  are Sections 101, 105, and 107.
>  If  "Manned Submersibles"  was a commissioned work for the Hysrographer of
>  the Navy it was a "work made for hire".  So then, under the definitions of
>  Sec. 101 the U.S. Government was the legal author not R. Frank Busby.  It
>  certainly was written by Busby, but it was authored and published by the
>  U.S. Government.
>  Section 105 "Subject matter of copyright : U.S. Government works" of Title
>  17 flatly states,
>  "Copyright protection under this title is not for any work of the U.S.
>  Government."
>  This book is clearly public domain, and can be freely distributed.
>  Still not convinced?  Then read Section 107 "Limitations on exclusive
rights
>  : Fair use".
>  No one as far as I know of here has mentioned anything about wanting to
>  profit from the book except maybe Phil.  It's to enlighten us, and spark
our
>  imagination through education.  Not a commercial endeavor at all so
>  commercial rights do not apply.

There is still the problem of "IF"-IF the work was done for the government,
IF the government owns the copyrights, IF the copyrights have been revoked
for some reason.

>  This whole copyright bull crap reminds me of Gene Simmons the bass player
>  for KISS.
>  After years of using the term "axe" in reference to their beloved guitars
by
>  musicians everywhere, Simmons takes out a copyright on the term "axe" and
>  forces everyone who uses the word to pay him royalties!  Jeez, talk about a
>  money-grubbing Jerk!

Copyrights are a great idea, but it really stinks when people start abusing
it.

>  Did I mention I hate rich people?

No, and I don't think we really care either.

>  Best regards,
>  Big Dave

Next step: Find out who owns the copyrights!

Anthony