Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Who owns the copyright to Busby's book?

Hey Guys:
Take a look at Title 17 Chapter 1 of the U.S. Code.  Of particular relevance
are Sections 101, 105, and 107.
If  "Manned Submersibles"  was a commissioned work for the Hysrographer of
the Navy it was a "work made for hire".  So then, under the definitions of
Sec. 101 the U.S. Government was the legal author not R. Frank Busby.  It
certainly was written by Busby, but it was authored and published by the
U.S. Government.
Section 105 "Subject matter of copyright : U.S. Government works" of Title
17 flatly states,
"Copyright protection under this title is not for any work of the U.S.
Government."
This book is clearly public domain, and can be freely distributed.
Still not convinced?  Then read Section 107 "Limitations on exclusive rights
: Fair use".
No one as far as I know of here has mentioned anything about wanting to
profit from the book except maybe Phil.  It's to enlighten us, and spark our
imagination through education.  Not a commercial endeavor at all so
commercial rights do not apply.
This whole copyright bull crap reminds me of Gene Simmons the bass player
for KISS.
After years of using the term "axe" in reference to their beloved guitars by
musicians everywhere, Simmons takes out a copyright on the term "axe" and
forces everyone who uses the word to pay him royalties!  Jeez, talk about a
money-grubbing Jerk!
Did I mention I hate rich people?
Best regards,
Big Dave