Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] A question for those that have/are building their own subs...

-----Original Message-----
From: John R. Farrington <jrf@austin.ibm.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 29, 2000 2:29 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] A question for those that have/are building their
own subs...

>I've got a question for those that have built their
>own psubs.

<snip>

I have had a machine shop make all the through hulls, (5 in my case), I also
had some delrin bushings made up (about 5 or 6), and the crank/ screw piece
for the mechanical claw.  ..he also machined a chamber for a pressure
compensation regulator, and the large hatch hold down screws..these could
all be made with a reasonable size lathe, but working in stainless steel is
not too easy I understand..  The three large pieces they machined for me,
were the retaining ring for the dome, and the seat for the front viewport.,
and the seat for the hatch..These required a large lathe (at least a 26"
swing) and something I dont think you would be buying for a project such as
this.
I had access to a lathe, so didnt have to pay for all of the above, but
still dont know if I would buy a lathe just for a K250..(I thought about it,
and didnt buy one,)  as for a mill, I dont think I could use one enough,
although I would like to have one.   A drill press in invaluable.. I only
have a small cheap one, but it works great..

dale.