Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Unusual propulsion system

In a message dated 8/20/00 5:10:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time, hylands@ibm.net
writes:

>  Here's some info from the RobotStore.com website, about the "pistons" they
>  made with the stuff:
>
>  ELECTRICAL
>             Total electrical resistance: 0.2 ohm
>             Typical power: 5 Amps at 1 Volt
>             Typical contract time: 2 seconds
>             Typical relax time: 12 seconds
>             Typical cycle rate: 4 cycles per minute
>
>  And that gives you a stroke of a little under one inch...
>
>  Later,
>  Jon

I don't know the specs for the pistons, but I know that Flexinol 100 HT has a
cycle time of 50 times per minute in still air at 20 degrees centigrade, if a
coolant is run over it or there is a counterforce applied then the cycle time
will increase.

Anthony