Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] motor seals

In a message dated 8/16/00 9:42:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jon@zk3.dec.com
writes:

<< Thanks for the clarification.  One more clarification...are you folks
suggesting

 that the magnets and seal rotate as a unit, or that the magnets are separated
 from the seal by some amount of airspace? >>

There is no seal.  The motor is encased.  No shaft penetrates the casing.
The motor spins a magnet inside that casing.  That's all.  Sealed.

The magnet spinning inside the casing spins a magnet outside the casing, thus
the name: magnetic coupling.  The external magnet is attached to the prop.

Maybe somebody else can explain this better because I've never seen one, I
just know how they work.

Stan