Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure compensation

-----Original Message-----
From: Marsee Skidmore <heyred@email.msn.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 10:27 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure compensation

>Light machine oil used to be whale oil. After they started using kerosene
>(sp?) for lamps and spring steel for corsets, it was about the only thing
>whales were good for. Then somebody discovered that jojoba bean oil was a
>dead ringer for whale oil. Now the only thing that whales are good for is
>cat food. - Joe

fills them with baby oil.  He says this works fairly well, and the losses
are minimal with the 24 volt motors, however they dont work as well at lower
voltages, like 12 volts.. the only problem is they always seep a tiny bit of
oil I guess, and he says its messy..the 24 volt motors use brushes, and he
says that sometimes you have to increase the spring pressure on the brushes,
but that does not cause any premature wear problems..seems to work for him..

and just a side note, he says spray the inside of the motor with WD40 or
similar, if you are going to pressure compensate them..that way, any water,
or condensation will do minimal damage..

dale.