Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure compensation

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Buchner" <buchner@wcta.net>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2000 11:26 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure compensation

" Does everybody have batteries isolated in a separate pod outside the main
hull to protect occupants against kaboominations?"

Hey Dave,

Well, maybe not everybody, but I have seen many designs use the seperate /
external battery pod configuration.

"If not, I've often idly wondered about what to do if the interior of the
sub were getting partially flooded and the battery was in danger of getting
shorted out."

Yeah, that's a problem alright.  Another danger is poisonous chlorine gas
generated when seawater comes into contact with a lead-acid battery.  If the
battery is inside with you, it's got to be in a sealed, exhaust-vented box
or compartment of its own.  If not, the pilot is at risk.

"Could the battery box be filled with oil"

Yup.  I've seen 'em.  The battery inside was a Gell Cell, too.

"and have some sort of great big main disconnect inside, so that once that
was pulled there would be no live conductors in contact with the water?"

I don't see why not.

"Just thinking."

Thinking is good!  ;-)

TTYL, Buddy!