Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Carbon Fiber

Fiberglass and Carbon fiber can both be used as material for a structural
hull. I don't know where you got the idea that they are not strong enough.
It all depends on the design. I have my pressure bearing hull designed with
glass and carbon fiber using epoxy resin. One major advantage is that I can
make it any shape that I want. The outer hull is fiberglass and superhigh
density polyethelene is in places for flexibility and scratch
resistance/impact resistance. The outer hull is not pressure bounding. If
you want to know all the strengths, I can get out my design and calculations
and compare it to steel. I designed it for 500 ft, with a max operating
depth of 150 ft.
Remember some of the most flexible (from diffferent design points)materials
are composite designs.
Suds