Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure compensation

Nuge,
     A trolling motor has seals that keep out water.  If the seal is not
present the motor case will fill with water in a while by simply being
operated below the surface.  This seal like any other water-tight seal is
good to only a certain amount of pressure.  You exceed the pressure and it
leaks filling your motor.  Not good!  Now, if the air pressure inside the
motor housing is the same as the water pressure at depth the seal has the
same pressure on both sides and it is much the same as it would be operated
on or slightly under the surface.  It should not leak.
     The trick is having the pressure inside the motor the same as the
outside pressure, or at least close.  If you set the pressure inside the
motor at a certain value and ascended the pressure inside is greater than
outside.  If you dove beyond the set pressure you have more pressure
outside.  One method of pressure compensating a motor is to place a rubber
bladder with air in the water close to the motor and run a tube from the
bladder to the motor housing.  As the sub dives the pressure on the bladder
increases and so does the inside motor pressure.
     There are several things you should consider, but this is not
necessarily all you have to consider.  If the tube or bladder leaks you
will get water inside the motor.  If the volume of the bladder is too small
it will not be able to furnish enough compressed air to the motor and at
some certain depth the outside pressure on the seal will start to become
greater than the inside motor pressure.  Any bag of air placed outside a
sub (assumed to be in some kind of holder) will get smaller in volume when
the sub dives to greater depth and pressure.  If this bag is too large the
sub will loose a substantial amount of buoyancy when diving.  In other
words; the deeper you go the more the sub becomes negative and the more it
wants to sink.
     You can use regulators to do pressure compensation where compressed
air is injected into the motor as needed in a descent and released as you
ascend.  But this wastes air and is far more complicated.  Also watch the
amount of moisture in the air used in the bladder.  You do not want
condensation inside the motor if you can help it.  I would use a dry gas if
feasible.  Nitrogen is probably better than air in such an application.  I
would think a dessicant could be used somehow in the line to take out
unwanted moisture but be careful not to allow it to get into the motor itself.

GB