Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Unconventional UW Propulsion

In a message dated 8/8/00 11:36:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time, SJSVOB@aol.com
writes:

> Ok so how about using underwater jet engine propulsion.  Water is sucked in
> the front via a compressor/thruster, fed into a chamber wherein it is mixed
> with a stream of sodium, and hydrogen peroxide, then fed through a
> turbocharger (which is coupled to the compressor/thruster) and out the
stern.

>  H2O + NA = NAO2 + H2
>  H2 + H2O2 = 2H2O
>  H2O + NA + H2O2 = NAO2 + 2H2O
>
>  Has this been tried in a torpedo? Or anything like it?
>
>  Steve

The main problem would be the volatility of what you're using. You can easily
Hydrogen Peroxide we had and how nasty it is to handle and store, and check a
science textbook (highschool or college) to see how dangerous Sodium is. In
short, mixing those two chemicals together could make for some very
spectacular fireworks.

Now a possible alternative would be to blow Aluminum powder (the finer the
better) into the water stream, with the water acting as an oxidizer.
 Unfortunately I don't know too much about this system, but I think it might
be used in certain US Navy torpedoes and other experimental underwater craft.

Anthony

P.s.: I'm not trying to discourage you from using mega-volatile chemicals,
just as long as you send a video of the sub going up in an enormous fireball
to me.