From: D. Blake <dblake@bright.net>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Date: Saturday, August 05, 2000 12:57 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] External frames

Hello Karl:
Stiffening rings can be placed on the inside or on the outside of the vessel.  The only difference according to ASME Code (UG 30) is in the attachment of the rings to the shell in terms of an intermittent weld. For outside rings, the weld should not be no less than 1/2 the outside circumference on 6" centers.  For inside rings, the weld should be not less than 1/3 the circumference on 6" centers.
The fillet weld size shall be the smallest of the following: 1/4", the thickness of the vessel wall, or the thickness of the stiffener at the joint  In terms of material for rings, the preference is toward using rings flame-cut from plate as opposed to rolled material because of possible gaps between the ring and shell from out-of-round rolled rings.  Of course here they are probably referring to vessels with a big O.D. as they refer to 1-2" possible gaps.  No such problem with our pityful small vessels(Carsten excluded).
TTYL,
Big Dave