RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydrogen Peroxide: on to the topic of flywheels

Ahh ok.  I would have understood better if you'd said xxxx joules.  I was
sitting here wondering what the heck the person would have launched off of
to get that high in the air.  The only time I've heard that particular
terminology before is in fluid mechanics and it was fluid head in feet.  I
didn't make the relation.
I would agree that FW's don't sound particularly useful for submarines, but
on the other hand could you not use it in a much smaller form to even out
the rotation of your propellers?  Or perhaps you could use a much smaller
motor that simply needed to keep a small FW spinning and would kind of
separate the energy required for the propeller from the energy required to
rotate it.  You would probably have to start the flywheel spinning with a
handcrank or the like but it might allow you to run the subs motors much
more efficiently and use less energy because you could always keep it at the
optimum rate. Of course then you'd need some sort of transmission on the
other side or perhaps a controlled pitch prop which probably makes it too
complicated for a Psub.  So in the end you are still quite right that simple
and proven is better for P-subbers.

Wade