Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Autonomous Robot Submarine Competition

Hello Jon! Hello psubers!

--- Jon Hylands <hylands@ibm.net> a écrit :
 > And, although I'm in Kansas City right now, I am Canadian as well...
> I'm
> hoping to be able to do some kind of exhibition run next year, if
> MicroSeeker is ready.

Would you be interested in demoing it here in Canada at the beginning
of the year?

I also wanted to ask you:

I saw on your web page that you covered the question in your FAQ of
"How do AUVs dive under the water?".  What do you generally think of
using motor+propeller to achieve variable depth instead of dive plane,
weight or ballast - as most of the teams did this year? We think we
might innovate very well by using a VTOL (Vertical Take Off and
Landing: you know, those weird helicopter/plane hybrid) propeller
configuration. This would optimize usage as we would not have to put
dedicated vertical thruster.

Also, do you (or does anyone else here!) have any tips regarding
manufacturing using polycarbonate? The other student clubs at our
university generally use composite since we can do it in-house and I've
heard that forming polycarbonate (plastic) is not easy and not doable
without specialized equipment. Mainly interested in polycarbonate so
that we may have a clear hull (yes, I know, this is clearly ripping off
the URI design... ;-))

> I don't know if we met while I was there, but I was there :-)

Yes, I'm sure we did... Saw you hanging around URI!

> I just put a trip report together on Saturday, you can see it at:
> 	http://www.huv.com/competition

Thanks, that's a very good trip report...  I'll send it to the
auvcompetition@egroups.com mailing list to share with the organizers
and some of the competitors.

Thanks,

=====
Ricky Ng-Adam, capitaine du projet SONIA de l'ÉTS
http://sonia.etsmtl.ca, http://wuggawugga.com