Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sub Simulator

Hi Danny, thanks for the feedback. I've got a little experience with
programming Nuke plant simulators (FORTRAN), and Programmable Logic
Controllers (PLC)and associated hardware (air,hydraulics, indexing tables,
etc). What I don't have is visual object simulator experience. I have a lot
of experience with LCD projectors, and I know that you can use mirrors for
projecting in tight spaces, but I have to plead ignorance in this area. I
envision an outer shell made of fiber glass and plastics, that is really eye
appealing. It would form the structure for the inner pilot frame. The frame
would pivot from bearings attached to the outer structure (sides) which
doesn't move. This would allow the pilot pod to rotate on the longest radial
axis (front to back). The actual pod would be attached via bearing to the
front and back of the frame via bearings. In this way, 360 degree rotation
could occur in both planes. I haven't worked with rotary electrical
connectors, so I would have to do some digging. To enhance the experience,
the frame could be connected to another frame, which would be attached to an
X and Y indexing table. This would give the sense of accelerating and
decelerating. this is starting to sound bigger and more complex all the
time. The customer would have to be well seatbelted in because you would be
able to "fly" upside down. Coordinating all this with visuals is where I am
having a problem. I can get good videos (make them myself) of a nice reef,
but synchronizing the image to the position of the sub would involve a
learning curve on my part. Controls could be a joy stick and some buttons
lights, etc on the control panel. Depth could be displayed as well as other
parameters.
The real kicker is the 360 degree capability. With this feature, everyone
would want a ride. Of course there would be many safety features. I would
even want to have a real motor and prop in an inert liquid to simulate the
sound of a prop in water. Finally, I could see a fine mist nozzle that would
leak more water the deeper you get. This would leak out of the pod
regardless of the pod position. Well maybe not.
Any way, what do you guys think? Am I totally off my rocker? If so, thank
you. By the way Danny where do you live?
Paul