Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ROVs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Bennett" <jonb@netsurfer.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 5:40 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ROVs

> OK, I am new to the list.
> I have been searching the list archive for
> ROV information.

Hi Jon,

First, the SOURCES section at PSUBS has a lot of information on parts and
such; you might find something there.

Second, search ROV on the net for a group called ROV-TECH or ROV-DYNE (it's
been a while and I don't recall their URL or actual name, but it's something
like that).  As I recall, they have a site dedicated to ROV's and you'll
probably get some leads there.

> I am wondering if a concensus (sp?) has
> ever been reached on ROV motors.
>
> Trolling motors seem a bit large and
> power hungry, oil filled motor housing
> are reputed to be a mess and REAL ROV
> motors are too darn expensive.

I think you just about covered it.  If you can't find what you're looking
for there, I'm kind of hard-pressed for suggestions.  There are, of course,
the kind of e-motors (GRAUPNER and the like) used on R/C submarines; they're
small, relatively powerful, and DC operated; but they'll have to be encased
in a watertight, pressure-proof housing, and that means the added
complication of running a shaft out through a gland, unless you magnetically
drive the prop through a non-ferrous hull.  You might try
www.subcommittee.com about this: check the message board archives, product
manufacturers, or ask questions on the general forum.

> Are there other ROV builders out there?

Sure.  I'm focused on submarines myself, but there's a lot of similarity in
the sources, equipment, and such.

> What are you doing for motors?

I'm using a MINN KOTA; works for me and for a lot of people.  You know, some
of the smaller ones really aren't that big.  If your ROV was any appreciable
size at all, you could probably make them work.

> I want to build a ROV, but I only
> wanting to go to a couple of hundred
> feet, not the bottom of the trench.

How important is maneuverability and control to you?  How about a simpler,
non-powered device suspended from a cable and operated from a surface boat?
Or maybe one with hose-fed air motors driven from a surface compresor?  Just
a thought.

> Any info would be welcome!
>
> --
> Jon Bennett