Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rent "The Hunley"

Paul and everyone,
I agree the Hunley is a wonderful movie, however, they did add poetic
liscence to the parts that are not known. They have no Idea why the crew
did not make it to shore. Battery wagner did get the green carbide
lantern signal from the hunley and replied with thier own white signal.
The sub never made it to shore.
On a side note they portray the woman as Lt. Dixon's wife, she was in
fact his fiancee.
As for the ballast tanks, yes they were open at the top. The Hunley's
chief designer, James McClintock wanted to close off the tanks and add
seacock like valves to the top but it was veto'd by Horace Hunley (whom
the sub was named after following his and the crew's death)
It's a fascinating story, anyone interested I would suggest looking at
the Hunley website at;
www.hunley.org
Pedro