[PSUBS-MAILIST] Old military subs (was: U 26 for sale)

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:40:19 PST "Paul Suds" <paul_suds@hotmail.com>
writes:
>Well, I guess my dreams of ever owning my own navy have been shattered.
>Hmmmm....I still think there's a hell of a market there. What about the
migs
>that the west europeans sell? I can see removing armaments, but
destroying
>the entire sub, well....that's like not-nice. Is this only done in
Germany
>or does every nation do this?

Every nation, old man.   I have here the DOD brochure about the
scrapping of two subs that had been given to Turkey.   The boats
were, it seems, returned to the U.S. Navy upon retirement.

Article EZ of the Invitation for Bid (IFB) specifies that gun mounts,
gun parts, torpedo tubes and periscopes will be rendered
unusable.   This is done by cutting the gun barrels in two, by
destroying ("cut through, battered or crushed") to make it
all unserviceable.   Torpedo tube inner doors will be cut in
two.   Persicopes must be cut, battered or crushed *in the
presence of representatives of the USN*.

There are notes in there about how much of the basic
equipment has been damaged or removed.  Indeed, the
hulls are said to be "probably" safe for towing.

>It's a hell of a deal;  less than pennies on
>the dollar usually.

It's probably a pretty good deal if you do it all the time.

>Oh well, maybe the North Koreans will ground one
>of  their units on a sandbar somewhere, and one of us will find it. We
>need to make a pact. If anyone on here finds a sub grounded on a rock or
>sandbar or whatever, he immediately gets the word out to the rest of us.

I don't think this is unreasonable.    Unlikely, perhaps, but if I run
across
one . . . .

>Everyone  puts
>their psub in the water and we tow the thing to some secluded area. We
>hit  the guys over the head and steal their sub. We grind the serial
number
>off the hull and engine (don't forget that), and then we paint the
thing.
>Put a few dings in it, carpet the plane surfaces, chrome a few of the
>surfaces, and no-one will recognize it. What do you guys say, huh? Are
you with
>me on this?

There was a James Bond movie about this.    Well, it happened in two
of Bond movies.

Ever read the book "Assault on a Queen"?

Come to think of it, "Assault on a Queen" was the book that got me
interested in ex-military subs.   It's a fairly good book, technically
speaking, but mostly by avoiding details.    Teh detail that stuck
in my mind was that the WW1 batteries were replaced by about
a zillion 12-vold car batteries.

>Ok, so I'm crazy. I get that way when I get disappointed.
>I still think we can get a small intact military sub somehow.

I understand crazy, at things like this.   I'm sure the Russians
would be willing to work out a deal.

>Hey Carsten, thanks for looking into this. I also saw your picture on
>the  U09 or U10. You have a lot of pictures on that site. I didn't
realize
>you  had visited so many subs.

I went to the site, Carsten.   But I never found more than one picture.
Where should I have gone at the site?   My German is . . . not even
tourist level.    Thanks.

Mike
--

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!