Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] philosophy

At 1931 -0600 03/13/0, Vikking wrote:
>Paul, you know sometimes, when i get some technical difficultie I think
>about the guy tring to build his ideas and not having the tools yet, not
>even screws, i read one of the copies of the technical designs, he
>wrotte,"of the misteries of travelling under the seas, which i know the
>secret, I will not tell,because man is an evil criature that will only use
>this knowledge to hurt other man."
>The guy live a very interesting and frustrating life, I very often think
>about it.

Do you suppose Jules Verne may have read this, when he was designing Captain Nemo? Makes you think.

and Paul Suds wrote:
> I really enjoyed philosophy in college, but I doubt that any of those
> philosophers knew the difference between a monkey wrench and a
> bar room wench to satisfy me.

(A bar room wench to satisfy you? Nevermind.) This is a great sentence, which could easily be mistaken for one of those Heinlein quotes which permeate the Internet. Of course, the real problem isn't with philosophy, but with those hacks who are inflicting it these days and try to pretend that philsophy doesn't/shouldn't/can't have anything to with real life. A proper philsophy ought to be useful for something, don'tcha thing? (Like dealing with monkey wrenchs AND barroom wenches!)

--
David
Osage MN USA