Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: SCUBA backup for psubs

Hi Vance,

Yes, please ask George. All the details you can get would be very interesting
to me.

Thanks,
Ray

> From: VBra676539@aol.com
> Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:40:05 EST
> Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: SCUBA backup for psubs
> To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
>
> Pat,
>
> No, we never carried separate rigs. Several boats I ran were Lock-Outs, and of
course had umbilicals and hats and what not. Mighty hand if you get tangled up
and need to get out and cut some ropes (it happened to me twice but we got loose
without getting wet). Our working depths were just too way-the-hell-and-gone
deep compared to psubs to take it into consideration.

> George Kittredge favors the military style hood for an escape package. He made
the first blow and go ascent from an American sub (after WW II) down in, I
believe, Australia or somewhere. 147 foot free ascent. Pretty good for the time.
Since then a new style (British originally) has been put in service. It's
basically a bag over your upper body with a window in it and straps to sit in
(parachute?). A free ascent was demonstrated in the Med to introduce this thing
from -- get this -- 600 feet plus!

> George never goes in his K600 without one, and I think I'll go that way. You
get the ascent rate of a ballistic missle and lessen chances of embolism and
such. I'll have to add that to my list of things to ask George when I talk to
him next. Where did he get his and what did it cost?