Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] PSUB Fatalities...

Pat,
I read the short form on the accident. As I understand it, the hatch closure handwheels were reversed. One sub turned clockwise (and that was the co-pilot's training sub) and the other sub turned counter-clockwise so when the co-pilot went to check the hatch as the sub was diving on a press junket/PR extravaganza, he turned it the wrong way, the hatch sloshed open (it was just at the surface and on the way down) and flooded the aft sphere which put them tail down on the bottom in 30-odd meters of water. I think it was the co-pilot who drowned and the pilot got the passenger out with outside assistance. It must have been one serious horrific few minutes!
Haven't heard about the German deal. Keep us up to date please.
Vance