Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] PSUB Fatalities...

----- Original Message -----
From: <VBra676539@aol.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2000 4:17 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] PSUB Fatalities...

> Moana was the submarine--designed and built by Comex. I never dove one,
but saw Moana I in the North Sea. The accident, I think, was Moana II. I can
look that up when I get home. At least one and maybe two others were built
for the Chinese. Double spheres, external pods, AC thrusters. The accident
happened off Marseille, and included the Mayor of Marseille who was NOT the
fatality. That would have been a really tough PR hurdle, don't you think?
> Vance

Thanks again, Vance,

I was just now going through the archives, found an old post of yours
("Weary Silence"), realized MOANA was the subs name; tried to let you know
I'd found out, but you beat me to the keyboard.

(I'm going back to the archives and may find this info myself; but)  Any
idea what caused the MOANA accident?  Structural failure?  Viewport let go?
Collision?  Fouled and entangled?

("PR hurdle"): Yep.  Like a midget hurdling a mountain.

In addition to the three you mentioned, I've found another reference to a
two-man fatality in German waters.  Still looking...