Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: ballast tank innerds

Hi, Vance:
        Re the polyester resin and cloth on the Pisces hulls: Mac Thompson
did Pisces 1 that way . . wirebrushed to clean metal, paint immediately
with thin coat of unwaxed resin. One layer of cloth. Let cure and knock off
risers, whiskers with a whack of medium sandpaper - apply a finish coat of
clear, waxed, resin. It wasn't actually black, just looked quite dark
compared to the standard white gelcoat  around it  ( except the orange
hulls <G>) it was a kind of dark greenish brown. George Hazelton did all
the glassing on all the Pisces boats after P-1,  . .I seem to remember that
at least some of them were done with mat rather than cloth. I can ask
George if you'd like. Worked very well. You could see even slight
corrosion. I don't think it was originally an ABS requirement . .but the
local ABS surveyor liked the idea and wrote into the certs, as I recall.
All the original Pisces guys are still in this area . . .Al Trice, George,
Mac,  . .all except Don Sorte who was lost at sea in a storm in the Indian
Ocean.
Regards
Phil Nuytten