Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Bouancy (please read)

This is a good question, and Jon and Carsten make excellent points.  Factors
involved do include variables in buoyancy and density, and their effect on
the hull in the water.  Also, are we talking about running with the wind or
tacking perpendicular to it, where hull depth and dagger-board (center of
effort) efficiency change, and the effects of buoyancy versus density might
be more acute?  Will the increased buoyancy raise the boat enough to offset
the increased mass-drag of salt water?  It's hard to say without having an
actual hull-model to examine.  Like Jon, I get the feeling any difference
will be minimal.  It is a good question, though.

Far from being "silly", Katie; I find your question refreshingly
thought-provoking and valid.  Please keep us informed on the results of your
experiments.

Very best regards,

Pat Regan
vulcania@interpac.net